S.T.E.M. Education Assistant
Groundwork Hudson Valley is looking to fill 2 S.T.E.M. Education Assistant positions for one of the most unique job experiences around: a world-famous floating farm called the Science Barge! We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable applicants with an interest in sustainability education, urban agriculture, and environmental issues.
Mission: The goals of the Science Barge program are to educate students and the public in Yonkers and the greater tri-state area about sustainable development, renewable energy, food systems and energy production. The Barge features a 1,100 square foot greenhouse where tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and other crops are grown using recirculating hydroponics and aquaponics. The greenhouse is powered by a renewable energy package that includes solar, wind, and a generator running on bio-fuel. Tours are available to school and youth groups, as well as the general public from mid-April through mid-November, Monday through Friday, with public programs and tours on weekends and evenings. In addition, Groundwork Hudson Valley has developed another experiential learning site: the EcoHouse. The EcoHouse is a mobile home outfitted to teach visitors about green design, energy & water conservation, and resiliency to a changing climate.
Job Description: The Education Assistant internship involves working in the outdoor classroom and in the greenhouse, facilitating hands-on, sustainability-centered education programs to a broad range of students. The Science Barge hosts 1-2 programs daily with Education Assistants leading tours and activities for students covering botany, renewable energy, waste management, and climate science.
Other responsibilities may include:
- Monitoring our hydroponic systems and adjusting nutrient and pH levels.
- Routine greenhouse maintenance: sweeping, mopping, pruning, trellising vines, filling water reservoirs, etc.
- Develop and distribute means to evaluate the effectiveness of the Science Barge or EcoHouse programs, including educational performance rubrics and visitor questionnaires.
- Education Assistants can help us stay relevant and in the public eye by posting updates on our social media accounts and creating flyers.
- Working closely with the Director of Education to develop new curriculum and activities for the Science Barge and especially the new EcoHouse.
- Helping out with occasional big events on certain weekends.
Qualifications: Background and interest in environmental education preferred. Some college coursework in the science field required. Background and interest in hydroponics, urban agriculture, and climate science. Applicants must be available April to mid-November and able to work most weekdays from 9 AM – 2:30 PM (20-25 hours a week) and possibly one weekend day. This time frame includes a two week paid training period.
For the S.T.E.M. Education Assistant Intern position please send a resume and cover letter by email to Jennifer Sloan with “STEM Education Assistant” as your subject line. Also please include two to three relevant work references with email and or telephone contact information.
Please indicate your anticipated availability.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Internship
Salary: $13.00 to $15.00 /hour