Environmental Food Team
Our Environmental Food Team is a program that brings older adults together for fun seminars on the history of food, cooking lessons and demonstrations, and field trips to local sustainable farms and gardens. There are occasional intergenerational events with youth from the area. All events are free and open to the public.
Why Join the Environmental Food Team?
- Free Weekly Lectures
- Opportunities For Getting Involved
- Free Tours
- Free Interesting Movies
- Free T-Shirts
- Free Food Tastings
- Free Veggies
New schedule coming for fall 2012…
SCHEDULE: Wednesdays, 3:30 – 4:30 PM (At GW office unless otherwise noted). Call (914) 375-2151 for the meeting location for this week.
Here are examples of some of the lectures and events we offer:
- Some Like it Hot! Learn about our fascination with hot foods, and sample different chilies.
- FIELD TRIP: the Dolan DNA Museum & Oyster Festival. There are two parts to this trip: first, learn about the search for DNA and how the genetic revolution is impacting our world. Second, visit the Oyster Bay Oyster Festival, one of the largest seafood festivals in New York. Sample a variety of seafood, visit arts and crafts booths, watch pirate shows, historic ships, and more. Tickets $10, includes transportation and entry (buy your own food). Depart 9:30 AM, return 5:00 PM.
- Stop Buying Soda Drinks. Workshop in making your own healthier soda waters. Sample home brews and learn basic recipes for creating your own beverages.
- Refrigerator Pickles and More. Emily Eder will teach you how to pickle a variety of tasty fresh vegetables. No complicated equipment. Preserve your own food.
- Indian Market Tour. Learn the ingredients of “masalas” (mixtures) and other exotic foods.
- History of the Spice Wars. How our quest for pepper changed civilization.
- FIELD TRIP: Wadsworth-Athenaeum Museum, Hartford, CT & Old Sturbridge Village, MA. Visit the largest collection of Hudson River School paintings and learn about Romanticism in America. We will discuss American “Agrarianism,” with time to visit the attractions. Tickets $40, which includes transportation and all entrance fees. Depart 8:30 AM, return 6:00 PM.
- Homemade Salad Dressing. Put away that fat-laden stuff and make something fresh.
- Yogurt: Super Food? Learn about this healthy food, and how to make your own at home.
- Mustard. A surprisingly versatile substance that appears in more foods than you thought.
- The World of Olives. Learn about this ancient food and try a few different varieties.
- FIELD TRIP: Home of FDR National Historic Site & Hudson Valley Wineries. Visit FDR’s home and discuss the merit of FDR’s Civilian Conservation Corps. This will be followed by a stop at a couple of area wineries (including the oldest in the United States). The tour will include time to sample locally grown wine (optional extra fee for this). Tickets $25. Depart 9:00 AM, return 4:00 PM.
Groundwork’s Office is located at 22 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Yonkers, NY 10701.
Bringing Nutrition to Yonkers…One Vegetable at a Time
All Wednesday events and activities are free and open to all adults 55+ years. Financial assistance may be available for select field trips. To insure a seat on the bus, please sign up for the trips in advance. NOTE: IF THE DAY’S FORECAST PREDICTS MORE THAN A DUSTING OF SNOW THE TRIP IS CANCELED. For more information contact Curt Collier at (914) 375-2151, or email@example.com.