The Science Barge is truly one-of-a-kind educational experience. In fact, it was awarded Best Sustainability Education by the Omega Center (2015) and rated “Best in Westchester: School Trip” (2012) and Best in Yonkers (2013, 2014)!
Serving schools, camps, and scout groups (grades 1-12), as well as university level classes, our S.T.E.M.-tastic programs teach sustainable design, resource management, urban agriculture, renewable energy and climate change resiliency. Programs range from a one hour tour up to a 3 hour tour-activity-green lunch challenge combination. Our on-board programs run only during our official growing season: mid-April through October. The Science Barge does, however, offer Winter Outreach programs for December-March. See below for details.
While we can tailor programs to meet your science curriculum requirements, you can always expect a detailed demonstration of the hydroponic and aquaponic systems that operate with water from rainwater catchment, powered by our renewable energy sources – the solar arrays and wind turbines, and kept zero-waste and discharge-free by our urban composting system!
For information about K-12 educational programs:
- Download the Science Barge Educational Programs Brochure with registration form
- Download descriptions of the Science Barge On-board Activities with Next Generation Science Standards listed.
- Download a description of our NEW Climate Change and You three-hour intensive program.
- Download a Science Barge Field Trip FAQ
- An aerial view of the barge systems:
- Email Director of Education, Jennifer Sloan, at email@example.com for questions on program content.
- Email Ashley Perez to book a Science Barge program for your school, camp, or boy/girl scout troop at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the Groundwork Hudson Valley office at 914-375-2151 and speak to Ashley Perez or Ellen Theg.
- Are you bringing a class on a school trip? Download Directions for Bus Drivers.
For information about college-level programs or professional development:
- Email Director of Education, Jennifer Sloan, at email@example.com
- Call the Groundwork Hudson Valley office at 914-375-2151 and speak to Ellen Theg or Jennifer Sloan.