THE POWER OF PUBLIC ART
A profusion of colorful, multi-media art projects are transforming Yonkers’ streets, parks, and business corridors, demonstrating Groundwork Hudson Valley’s commitment to engaging the community through art.
Downtown Yonkers and the surrounding communities are in the midst of an artistic renaissance. Recent projects include the work of famous muralists and street artists such as Nick Walker, Fumero, Werc, WallWorks, and Damien Mitchell. Yonkers’ many distinguished local artists work directly with the community, creating projects about the environment and reflecting Yonkers’ diverse cultures.
Haifa Bint-Kadi works with Groundwork’s public art programs as an art consultant. A distinguished mosaic artist trained in Ravenna, Italy, Haifa works in a wide variety of media and formats, including mosaics, painted murals, steel sculptures, and found objects. Haifa is deeply committed to expressing the aspirations of local residents through art.
Links to our current community art projects include:
- Mill Street Courtyard Totem Pole
- EcoHouse Mosaic Façade
- Untermyer Gardens mosaic restoration and repair
- Sidewalk Interventions – city sidewalk cracks filled with colorful mosaic pieces
- American Eel Outdoor Classroom mosaic in Van der Donck Park
- Art in the Park Workshops
- Public Housing Chakra labyrinth, designed and created with Municipal Housing residents
- Cottage Gardens Municipal Housing mosaics and murals
- Yonkers Arts Weekend
- Youth training in the arts