Quick Facts

  • Headwaters/source: Town of New Castle, 1.75-acre pond
  • Mouth: Yonkers into the Hudson River at Dock Street
  • Length: About 20 miles
  • Watershed basin: 26.5 square miles
  • Average width of Watershed Basin:1.4 miles
  • Average width of River: 8-12 feet
  • Average slope of the river: 22 feet/mile
  • Population in watershed: Approx. 110,000
  • Population density: 4,151 per square mile, nearly twice the density in all of Westchester and 10 times that of New York State
  • Original name origin: The river originally was called the Nepperhan, from the Native American word for “rapid little stream.”
  • Current name origin: The Saw Mill River got its present name from the saw mill that was built near its mouth at Philipse Manor Hall in Yonkers in the mid-1600s.
  • Hudson River tributary: The Saw Mill River is one of 65 tributaries in the Hudson River watershed and lies completely within Westchester County.
  • The Saw Mill River Parkway parallels the river for about 16 miles and was constructed between 1925 and 1954.
  • Tributaries: Tertia Brook, Nannyhagen Brook, Mine Brook, Rum Brook, other numerous unnamed tributaries.
happy dog sitting on rock in a stream